Thursday, April 15, 2010

COMIC REVIEW: Cold Space (BOOM! Studios)

Photobucket


Cold Space takes place 2000 years in the future. This futuristic tale of space cowboys is about an arms dealer on the run from the galactic officials. Our hero crashes lands on a planet torn apart by civil war. This accident turns in to an opportunity for him to make some quick cash. This story is written by Samuel L. Jackson and Eric Calderon. This team is also known for their pervious story of Afro Samurai.

Photobucket



I find this comic a repeat of an old gun runner stories. Our hero is in need of some quick cash and conveniently after his crash landing he is surrounded by friends. This could easily be called Pulp Fiction in space. I don’t consider this a bad thing, but the first issue did not blow me away. I do have hope for this series. This story needs a lot of work on originality and character development.

The artwork puts me in mind of old Heavy Metal comics. While I was reading this I could almost hear Dio playing in the background. This is nice and basic, not a lot of elaborate colors. Each one of the character that are drawn have great detail. Samuel L. Jackson characters look like he was just put right in the pages of the comic. I give high kudos to the artist.

Stop watching reality television and read a book

Chip Carroll
Staff Reviewer

No comments: