Friday, March 5, 2010

COMIC REVIEW: Starstruck #7 (IDW)



Let me admit one thing. I chose this book based on one name in the description: Charles Vess. Hailing from a couple of towns over from mine and being oh so talented (in addition to being a nice guy), he's enough to make me buy a comic. Imagine my surprise when I saw his credit as colorist. However, I'm glad I picked this up. Elaine Lee's combination of prose and traditional comic writing and Michael Kaluta's fantastical art come together to make one of the most random and interesting reads in a long time.




The story opens with commentary on a fictional book, Mind Spiders from the Planet Xenon, and moves into a story of Bronwyn and her family. They are celebrating "Anything-Can-Happen Day" at Uncle Bob's Fantanimalland. When Bronwyn gets separated from her family in the Aguacade, her life is changed forever. There are other stories of the Multiverse, which is explained by Lady Scooter Jean, Maiden Priestess of Phoebus. This leads into Galactic Girl Guide Brusilla recounting her summer vacation. I enjoyed Bronwyn's story and Brusilla's story the most, but the stories in the middle were interesting as well. I did get the feeling I was missing something at times, but I think it's because I didn't have the advantage of reading the other issues.

Elaine Lee's writing is fantastic, but to me Kaluta's art is the star of the book. It is gorgeous and suits the fantasy of Lee's writing very well. Vess is a good fit for coloring because Kaluta's art is very similar. I loved every page (even the ones where I wasn't quite sure what was going on), and a few made me think, "Wow, this would be a great painting!"

The bottom line on this one is this: if you're a fan of fantasy or just want a random read, grab a copy of Starstruck. Even if the story doesn't make sense all the time, you can gawk at the lush scenery.

Stacy Rader
Senior Reviewer

1 comment:

Liz Argall said...

Hi Stacey,

Lovely review. I thought I'd give you a quick heads up. Charles Vess did the inks for the girl guides section at the back, but Lee Moyer is the colorist for all of the pages and the cover.

Charles Vess is an amazing colorist and I'm glad he got you interested in the cool world of StarStruck, but Moyer is the painter this time round.