Thursday, March 4, 2010

COMIC REVIEW: Nola #4 (BOOM! Studios)



Chris Gorak's NOLA wraps up with issue #4 and gets a second chance from me. I read the first issue and didn't really get into it, but decided that I may have missed something. Through the 4-issue series the title character has been on a roaring rampage of revenge, Beatrix Kiddo-style. (And if you don't get the reference, finish reading this review and go Netflix Kill Bill, Volumes 1 and 2. Seriously, do it. If you don't enjoy those few hours, let me know, and we'll discuss. But I digress.) Now, I'm the first to say that every revenge story shouldn't be compared to Kill Bill or its source material, Lady Snowblood, but it actually fits here.




I got the sense throughout this issue that even though Nola was shooting first and asking questions later, she was totally justified. Which is good, because most of the issue is about her waving a pistol around. In between, however, we really get to see that revenge is the only thing that moves her forward. That's the thing I found most interesting about this book, and its greatest strength.

I'm glad I gave this book a second chance. Gorak's story was simple but kept me engaged throughout. If you've been reading this all along, of course you're going to pick this one up. If not, grab the other three issues, or wait for the trade. Either way, this title is a great addition to the BOOM! library.

Stacy Rader
Senior Reviewer

No comments: