Friday, March 5, 2010

COMIC REVIEW: Incredibles #6 (BOOM! Studios)



I loved The Incredibles. I have seen the film repeated times, and it gets better every time. It stands to reason, then, that if you combine those characters with Mark Waid, good things happen. And in issue 6 of the ongoing Incredibles title from BOOM! Studios, it did.




The first thing that struck me was Ramanda Kamarga's art. If you've ever wondered what it would have looked like if the film were traditionally animated, here you go. It's true to the style of the characters and that retro-futuristic sensibility, and Andrew Dalhouse's colors pop off the page. Sometimes with kids' titles it can be a trade-off between story and art, but this isn't the case. Waid and Landry Walker have crafted a story that is fun to read, and is a great adventure.

Even though I haven't been reading the entire series thus far, this issue made me want to go back and read all of the other issues, and definitely pick up next issue. If you want to feel like a kid again, or you have kiddos in the house that you want to share comics with, Dash (pun totally intended) to your local comic shop and pick up this title. (And FYI, comics are a great way to motivate kids to read. My mom used to buy me Archie comics to help bolster my vocabulary when I started reading before kindergarten. Long story short, I was always grades ahead of my classmates, I had great verbal skills, and I love comics to this day because of the memories I had sharing them with my mom. Just sayin'.)

Stacy Rader
Senior Reviewer

No comments: