Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Comic Review: Aladdin: Legacy of the Lost #1 (Radical)



Radical Comics returns to mystic Arabian nights with Ian Edginton’s Aladdin: Legacy of the Lost. This revisit to the classic story of the boy and his genie is very faithful to what I remember of the old story, with a few new twists and turns. The story is interesting enough, but almost seems like a story better suited for cut scenes in a video game. However, Patrick Reilly’s lush landscapes and storybook-like illustrations are a feast for the eyes.




To begin, I am not saying I didn’t like the story. On the contrary, I actually liked the story, but in this issue, it was more setup and rehashing than “Wow, wait to see what happens next!” That can be a positive, though, because readers may stay tuned to see what’s new. Others may pick this up and realize they’ve heard it all before and not come back. My take on it is that if you’re a fan of Aladdin and Aladdin-type stories, you’ll enjoy it.

Reilly’s art is the star of this book. It reminds me of an old leather-bound storybook with gilded pages. The inks are warm and suit the richness of the story’s setting very well. He captures the action of the story as well as the magic of the old tale. The cover duties are shared by revered cover artists Marko Djurdjevic, Arthur Suydam of Marvel Zombies fame, and Clayton Crain, and all are equally beautiful, though I’m partial to Suydam’s art myself.

I would recommend this book to anyone who’s looking to add a few new adventures to an Aladdin collection, or to anyone who likes a good old-fashioned adventure tale. Though this first issue was, in my eyes, little more than setup, I can see that this story has potential.

Stacey Rader
Senior Reviewer

No comments: