Tuesday, September 15, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Todd Dezago



Todd Dezago is a dynamic personality. A trained thespian and a not-so-trained juggler, he began writing comics in 1994 on the highly popular X-Factor. Todd soon found himself working on many of the X-Men and Spider-Man books and is probably best known for his quintessential run on Sensational Spider-Man and the high-adventure fantasy Tellos with pal, Mike Wieringo. He currently works on several of the Marvel Adventures books as well as his creator-owned title, The Perhapanauts, with artist, Craig Rousseau. Todd says, “Comics are fun! Read some everyday!”

He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions:




1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

Oooooo--that's tough. In mainstream comics, I'm very happy with my run on Spectacular Spider-Man with Mike (Wieringo). I'm also fiercely proud of my two creator-owned titles; Tellos--again with Mike, and The Perhapanauts with Craig Rousseau.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

Mike Wieringo. We were on the same page from the moment we first met/our first phone conversation. We had fun on whatever we worked on together and always tried to surprise one another in how we got there. I have a very similar relationship like that now with Craig on The Perhapanauts.

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

Batman. And the Joker. I'm a huge Batman fan, but not entirely enchanted with what they've been doing with him over the past few years. There are many different "flavors" of Batman and I'm thinking it's time to see some of the other aspects of The Dark Knight again.

4) Who are your influences?

God...everybody I've ever read or seen. I think my stories are inspired by many of the artists I've enjoyed throughout my life as much as the writers. Though I consider them friends of mine, Mark Waid and Kurt Busiek are two of my all-time favorites. Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, Denny O'Neil, Doug Moench. And not so much influences as incomparables--Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

Huh...these days it seems like so many are changed and then changed back a few years later that that question answers itself! If you don't like the way that your favorite is being portrayed these days, just wait a minute...That said, Ethan Van Sciver and I have had a major plan to update/revamp/validate Plastic Man for years, but either Ethan's too busy or DC isn't ready for it...maybe someday...

Check out Todd's Perhapanauts at
http://www.perhapanauts.com/

No comments: