Monday, September 14, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Dave Johnson



Dave Johnson’s stunning cover art for titles such as Detective Comics and 100 Bullets earned him the 2002 Eisner Award for Best Cover Artist.

Johnson’s graphic treatments have graced the covers of 100 Bullets since the beginning of the series, which ends in February 2009. In addition, Johnson worked on the critically acclaimed DC Elseworlds miniseries Superman: Red Son, which was nominated for a 2004 Eisner Award for Best Limited Series.

He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions:




1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

Probably doing all the covers for 100 Bullets. I don't think I've ever done ANYTHING that long in my life. 10 years

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

Once again, I gotta go back to 100 Bullets and say that Brian Azzarello was a dream to work with. But I also have to give credit to the editors Axel Alonso and Will Dennis for not only not getting in the way, but supporting my crazy cover ideas. And of course, Mark Chiarello for giving me the chance in the first place

3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

I get this question a lot. The answer is none. I'm more interested in the project and what I'm going to be allowed to do on it. Some of my best work has been on books that nobody cared about and vice versa.

4) Who are your influences?

Everybody and everything. It's constantly changing. As a teenager, it started out with Byrne and Golden. But that list has grown so big it's hard to say any one artist/style has driven me into a definable direction.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

If you had asked me that question about 10 to 15 years ago I could tell you. But to be honest, that stuff doesn't really factor in my way of thinking anymore. I can tell you it was fun changing Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman into Russians. Plus it's cool putting my own design stamp on Punisher right now. Hell, I guess I did something right on his skull logo because they're making t-shirts sporting the graphic.

Check Dave out at http://devilpig.deviantart.com/

No comments: