Saturday, June 6, 2009

I.M.O. Review: Star Trek: Crew #4 (IDW Publishing) By Eddie R.


Coming Home

I remember the very first time I saw Capt: Robert April and his doctor wife Sarah. I was sick in bed and watching the Animated Star Trek episode: “The Counter-Clock Incident”. I had always wondered why there was never any mention about the first captain of the U.S.S Enterprise. I mean the animated episode was ok, but for some reason, I wanted to hear and see more about this man and his wife. Now I know over the years, some people have taken these characters and tried to flesh them out, but to little or no success. Well, that is until now.




Star trek: Crew #4 opens with our female lieutenant finally coming back to the place where this story began five years before: The now famous U.S.S Enterprise NCC- 1701. As the lieutenant disembarks from the transport shuttle in the hanger bay, she remarks at how the ship feels and looks very different than when she was there for its shakedown cruise. Now part of the junior officers, and serving as helmsman and navigator, it doesn’t take long for the action to settle in before she manages to.

Now, once the action starts, this is where we get to meet the current and future Captains of the NCC-1701, along with the ships first chief medical officer. All 3 characters: Robert April, his wife Dr. Sarah April, and Christopher Pike have always been portrayed to me as very two dimensional. Yes, they were part of the Star Trek Canon, but not much was done in order to breathe life into them. And if any Star Trek fans out there have been looking forward to that same application of depth of character John Byrne has so effortlessly injected throughout this series on these three, well your prayers have just been answered.

Although I am not going to spoil the main plot in this issue for you, I will say that out of all the stories which seem to have a `` full circle`` theme to them in regards to Star Trek cannon, this ranks right up there in the Top 5. Mr Byrne manages to take a generic Star Trek plot and completely make it his own, linking his work from another recent Trek comic, to show us what happened to a beloved character from the original series. Bravo Mr.Byrne, Bravo!

If anything this comic, and this issue specifically, seems to me as if it could be used as the perfect starting point for a new TV series, featuring Capt. April, Sarah, and the early days of the Enterprise. Never have I so wanted a comic book made into something for the small screen so badly. With the current relaunch of the Star Trek franchise, I would personally love to see this happening. The setting might be old and familiar, but the characters would be fresh and accessible to a whole new generation. And right now, I think this is what Star Trek and it`s loyal fan base needs: I know I do.

9/10

Eddie R
Review Editor

No comments: