Tuesday, April 28, 2009

5 Quick Questions with Brett Booth




Brett Booth is a comic book artist. He is best known for his work on Backlash, a character he co-created with Jim Lee at the Wildstorm Studios.

Brett has also illustrated the exploits of some of Marvel Comics' best known characters such as Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. The artist then expanded his career a touch when he contributed illustrations for the Anthropomorphic How-To book: 'Freaks! How To Draw Fantastic Fantasy Creatures. He is currently active as a paleoartist drawing dinosaurs for various publications and websites as well as continuing to draw comic books at Dabel Brothers Productions studios.



He agreed to answer 5 Quick Questions

1) What would you say is your greatest achievement in comics?

Hmmm... tough question. I'd have to say adapting the first Anita Blake comic. We showed that there was an audience that would cross over from books to comics. But more importantly we managed to get more women reading comics. So basically getting the word out that comics aren't just for men.

2) Who was your favorite writer or artist that you worked with & why?

I actually haven't worked with many comic book writers for any length of time other than Sean Ruffner (who's no longer in comics.) I did 3 series with him, the Kindred, Backlash and Wildcore. Sean's one of my best friends, we were neighbors in college so I've known him for a long time.

But if I had to pick someone who wasn't a close friend, I'd say Joe Pruett, when I worked on X-men Unlimited. We basically got crapped on, being the 'other' X-men' book, but he did his best to try and make it fun, in fact we did a 30 page issue that never even saw print, with
Annihilus from the FF. It was pretty fun to draw.


3) What character you have never worked .., would you like to do & why?

The Flash, hands down. If I ever go back to superheros this would be what brought me there. He's always been my favorite DC character, I was a big fan of the Waid run with the speedforce. As I get older I have developed more of a fondness for the DC characters. The Flash is the one DC character that has always been cool to me.

4) Who are your influences?

Well, Jim Lee, obviously but Mark Silvestri, Todd McFarlane, Art Adams, Walt Simonson, Kevin Maguire, George Perez and a few others played their parts. Being a child of the 80's Art Adams is the guy who got me interested in comics. Mark had just started his run on Uncanny and Walt Simonson was drawing X-factor (I was a huge X-men fan.) George Perez kept me interested in the DC universe, but I was mainly a Marvel guy. Of course once I got into the biz I pretty much stopped buying comics so I really have NO idea who a lot of the new guys are.

5) What hero or villain would you like to change if you could and why?

OK, I don't like this character as he currently is, but I did have a great time drawing Thor in an issue of FF. I am a mythology buff so maybe taking this book back to it's basics might be really interesting. I like drawing complicated Norse type gear so it might be a lot of fun.

Brett is currently drawing a Vampire Huntress graphic novel for DabelBrothers. This is an original story from writer L.A. Banks. Brett promises that it has "lots of monsters :)"

And check out Brett's blogs:

http://demonpuppy.blogspot.com/ Which showcases his comic drawings, dinosaur reconstructions, dogs, religion and science.

And then his dinosaur blog: http://carnosauria.blogspot.com/ which just has his dinosaur art on it.

No comments: